Happy New Year! 🙂
I haven’t posted in a long while because I haven’t touched baking for a really long time ): I was busy with my mission trip in the past month hence the lack of time. And now with exams just 2 weeks away? It calls for stress-baking.
I stumbled across these magic cakes while surfing the net and they seemed quite magical. With one batter, you get two textures. A custardy, soft filling at the bottom and a spongy cake at the top. It sounded too good to be true so I had to try it.
It did come out with 2 layers but I wasn’t in love with the custard. I don’t think custards are my kind of thing, so yup, I’m not going to make this again. But if you’re curious about this cake, give it a try! Maybe you’ll love the custard more than I did.
Magic Matcha Cake
140g plain flour
2 tbsp matcha powder
4 eggs, separated and at room temp
100g caster sugar
1 Tablespoon of Water
1. Melt butter
2. Warm up milk until lukewarm
3. Whisk egg yolks and sugar together until pale
4. Whisk in butter and water until well incorporated
5. Sift in flour and matcha powder, whisk
6. Slowly whisk in milk until everything is well mixed
7. In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until stiff peaks
8. Fold in egg whites into mixture, 1/3 at a time
9. Preheat oven at 150 degrees Celsius
10. Pour batter into a greased 10 inch square baking pan
11. Bake for 30 mins or until top is golden brown. The middle of the cake should still be wobbly when you take it out!