When I talk about making fresh pasta, I mean mixing flour and eggs together not dumping pasta into a pot of boiling water, like what my friend thought. It really is that simple. Just mixing flour and eggs together.
You don’t even need to use your hands to mix the flour and eggs together, you can use a food processor. Neither do you need to painstakingly roll out the dough to the perfect thickness and cut it with a knife, you do all that with a pasta machine. Sounds easy?
A simple rule I swear by is 100g of flour to 1 egg, and then you add more flour if it is too wet. I started off using all purpose flour but I realised that my dough was hard so I switched to using “00” flour which makes the dough so soft and rubbery, an indication of high gluten content and nice chewy pasta. For Singaporeans, you can purchase “00” flour from Culina at Dempsey. They sell a 1 kg packet for about $6, which is reasonable in my opinion.
I use a Marcato Atlas Wellness 150 Pasta Machine, if you were wondering 🙂
Here are the instructions for making plain pasta:
1. Add flour and eggs into food processor and whiz it until it is something like breadcrumbs. If they do not form breadcrumbs, it is too wet, you would have to add more flour.
2. Tip mixture onto floured surface and knead it for 5 to 10 minutes until elastic.
3. Flatten dough into oblong shape and feed it through the machine’s lowest setting, 1.
4. Fold it into half or thirds and feed it through again.
5. Repeat step 4.
6. Turn setting to 2, and feed dough through. Repeat until desired thickness. (On my Marcato Pasta Machine, it is 7)
7. Cut to desired shape using pasta machine attachment.
After making plain pasta so many times, I decided to try new flavours. I tried making beetroot pasta and spinach pasta. It was similar to making plain pasta but with only one extra step and the simple rule doesn’t apply. I love the red and green colours, they are so pretty! 🙂
Ingredients for Beetroot Pasta
300g of “00” flour
Direction for Beetroot Pasta
1. Grill beetroot in 180 degrees oven with skin on for an hour
2. Remove skin
3. Blend in food processor until puree is formed.
4. Add in eggs and blend to combine.
5. Add in flour and blend to combine.
6. Knead dough.
Ingredients for Spinach Pasta
300g of “00” flour
Directions for Spinach Pasta
1. Steam the spinach for 2 minutes until green and soft.
2. Blend it in the food processor until a puree is formed.
3. Add in eggs and blend to combine.
4. Add in flour and blend to combine.
5. Knead dough.