I made my own birthday cake because I was sick of paying so much for a birthday cake that tastes meh and was probably made in a dirty kitchen (observations made from working in a bakery). So I made a lemon drizzle layered cake with lemon cream cheese frosting because lemon is my favourite ingredient to work with. It’s refreshingly sour and always in my fridge. You can make variations of this, in the form of cupcakes or perhaps just a one layered cake with the frosting on top.
Ingredients for one layer of 9 inch cake
150g Caster Sugar
pinch of salt
100g self raising flour
75g almond meal
A little milk (3-4 tablespoons)
Ingredients for Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
250g Cream Cheese
150g icing sugar (adjust to your desired sweetness)
50ml lemon juice
Directions for cake
1. Preheat oven 180C or 160C fan oven. Grease and line loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
2. Whisk well butter, caster sugar, and zest of 1 lemon until light and fluffy. Approx 4-5min.
3. Add a pinch of salt and the eggs slowly one at a time until well combined before adding the next.
4. Change the whisk to paddle attachement.
5. Sift over flour and fold in, followed by almonds.
6. Add enough milk to bring mixture to dropping consistency so that it falls off the spoon.
7. Pour mixture in the loaf tin and even out the top. Make slight well in center.
8. Bake for 40-45 min, until a skewer comes out clean.
9. In a small sauce pan, combine juice of 2 lemons and demerera sugar and slowly heat until sugar is dissolved. Add zest of remaining lemon. Turn heat off.
10. Use a skewer stick to make holes in the cake and pour the drizzle lemon syrup slowly into the holes when the cake is warm. Important to do this once the cake is just out of the oven.
11. Let sit to cool.
Directions for Frosting
1. Whisk everything together