I’m reviving this blog all of a sudden because there’s no more school and I’m going to have so much time baking and trying out new recipes, it’ll be fun to share them. My mom recently celebrated her birthday and it’s the first time since forever that I baked someone a cake because I never had the luxury of putting aside 3 hours to bake and assemble a cake. I decided to make Strawberry Shortcake, a really simple layered sponge cake with whipped cream and strawberries in between, because it was her favourite cake. Plus, who in the right mind wouldn’t love strawberries and whipped cream?!
To assemble an entire 9 inch cake, I made 3 layers of sponge cake.
Ingredients for 1 layer of sponge cake
60g cake flour (necessary for a light cake)
20g butter (melted)
Directions for sponge cake
1. Whisk eggs and sugar over bain marie (hot water bath)
2. Remove from hot water and whisk with electric beater till pale and creamy.
3. Sift flour into mixture and whisk.
4. Fold melted butter into mixture.
5. Place into 160 degrees celsius fan oven (timing depends on your oven, just keep checking).
6. Remove when you put a stick through and it comes out clean.
Ingredients for Syrup 20ml hot water 1 tsp rum 1/2 tbsp sugar
Directions for syrup 1. Just mix everything together
Ingredients for whipped cream (for a 9 inch cake) 900ml cream
3 tbsp rum
3/4 tsp vanilla essence
3 tbsp icing sugar
Directions for whipped cream
1. Just whisk everything together (use an electric whisk and be careful not to over whisk if not it’ll split!)
Directions for assembling cake
1. Brush syrup onto each layer to prevent it from becoming soggy from the whipped cream.
2. Spread cream onto sponge cake with palette knife
3. Slice strawberries and arrange them
4. Spread whipped cream again, be generous
5. Place a second layer of sponge on top.
6. Repeat and frost the entire cake with whipped cream 🙂